Design & TechnologyBack
Why should I choose Design & Technology?
As a STEM subject, Design and Technology will help you to design and make quality products with creativity and originality, using mathematical skills, scientific analysis combined with creativity and flair. The course covers a wide range of topic areas through years 9 and 10 and the set projects will allow you to develop your skills for comprehensive analysis, focused research and the making of a prototype. You will also be asked to produce clear and specific design criteria reflecting analysis and target market. Design and Technology combines elements of highly academic study and consolidates knowledge in subjects such as Maths and Science.
Design and Technology can lead to a career in construction, research, designing, manufacturing and engineering.
How will I be examined?
- Written exam: 2hrs 50% of the marks
- Non Exam assessment: 50% of the marks (evidence based design task)
What will I study?
The specification is based on a selected list of projects that require students to develop their skills and technical knowledge and consider sustainability and environmental impact on their designing. It also provides the candidate with the opportunity to design and make a product using new technologies and smart materials.
- Technology in manufacturing
- Production systems CAD/CAM
- Product sustainability and social issues
- Products in society
- Powering systems
- Scales of production
- Properties of materials
- Electronic systems
- Mechanical systems
- Wood, metals and polymers
Recommended text books, additional reading and online resources
- GCSE AQA Design & Technology (Complete Revision & Practice)
- GCSE AQA Design & Technology (Exam Practice Workbook)
- AQA GCSE Design and Technology (Practice Test Papers)