Why should I choose Sport BTEC?
BTEC Level 1/Level 2 First Award in Sport is as a well-established, enduringly effective qualification. The course have a proven track record in improving motivation and achievement among young learners. Additionally, BTECs provide progression routes to the next stage of education or into employment. It also includes the science of training and application of training principles and psychology in sports and sports performance.
How will I be examined?
- Unit 1: Fitness for Sport and Exercise (external exam 25%)
- Unit 2: Practical Performance in Sport (25%)
- Unit 3: Applying the Principles of Personal Training (25%)
- Unit 6: Leading Sports Activities (25%)
What will I study?
The course has mandatory and optional specialist units (must pass all of the mandatory units to pass the course).
These units include three mandatory units:
- Unit 1: Fitness for Sport and Exercise practical and vocational skills
- Unit 2: Practical Performance in Sport synoptic knowledge, understanding and practical vocational skills
- Unit 3: Applying the Principles of Personal Training
One optional specialist unit:
- Unit 4: The Mind and Sports Performance, learners look at the concepts that influence the mind in sporting situations and explore the effects on sports performance
- Unit 5: The Sports Performer in Action, learners develop their knowledge and understanding of the short-term responses and long-term adaptations
- Unit 6: Leading Sports Activities, learners develop sports leadership skills through delivering components of sports sessions and whole activity sessions.
Recommended text books, additional reading and online resources
- Pearson BTEC Level 1/Level 2 First Award in Sport Specification First teaching September 2018: Issue 7
- BTEC First Award Sport (BTEC First Sport) Paperback: Mark Adams
- Physical Fitness and Athletic Performance: A Guide for Students, Athletes and Coaches (Longman, 1996) ISBN 9780582091108 - Watson A W S